I LOVE Hot Dogs. Back in my skinny days, before I was hired to work at Macy’s Downtown, I used to shop and eat the Macy’s Hot Dogs. They came in the fancy pleated holder with a toasted top-sliced bun. I was the queen of dieting back then, to the point that I would starve myself. On one occasion, I fainted in Macy’s because I had not eaten that day. I’m glad they did not hold it against me, when I applied for a job there.
That sweet memory with Dad will never happen again. But here is my take on his famous Hot Diggity Dogs!
- Fat Hot Dogs, recommended Farmland Hot Smoked Sausage Links, 1 to 2 per person
- Bacon, Thick Cut, one slice per dog
- Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, two, 1/4 inch cuts per dog (or Cracker Cut Cheese)
- Bun, Top-Sliced, recommended Pepperidge Farm Sweet Hawaiian, one per dog
- Celery Seeds, 1/8 teaspoon
- Mustard Ground, 1/8 teaspoon
- Liquid Smoke, 1/2 cap (or less), per dog
- Poppy Seeds, 1/8 teaspoon
- Water (or butter) to adhere poppy seeds
- Toothpicks, 2-3 per dog
- Water, to soak toothpicks for 30 minutes ahead of time
- Condiment of your choice, such as mayo, aioli, ketchup or mustard
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Cook bacon, until nearly done and still pliable. Then cool until you can touch it.
- Slice each dog in half, lengthwise. The Sausage links are already fully cooked, so you can split and lightly brown in the same skillet. You just need to heat the sausage and cheese in the oven to meld together.
- Apply liquid smoke, celery seeds and dry mustard on each dog
- Add cheese chunks
- Wrap bacon around dog and secure with 2 toothpicks
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Using the same bacon pan, blot most of the bacon grease out. Then, adhere water or butter on top of buns to “glue” poppy Seeds
- Cook on both sides in skillet for 2 minutes until light brown
- Remove dogs and buns from oven
- Remove toothpicks
- Dress buns and dogs with condiments of your choice
- Chow down!
THE VAMPIRE DANCER SAGA 5 IS DONE!
The story writing process has completed and ready for tweaking. For the first time, I am using original artwork, as opposed to using stock photos from Shutterstock, DepositPhotos and the Library of Congress.
Check out the sample for Part 4 to be in the storyline loop: Audible.com The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 4 Audiobook
BOOKS BY SHALIMAR ALI:
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 4 @ Amazon Kindle (June 13, 2016)
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 3 by Shalimar Ali (Apr 13, 2014)
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 2 by Shalimar Ali (Dec 11, 2012)