I was grocery shopping a few years ago and had a small budget of $20.00 to $30.00. So I had to limit the list to “essential” items only and no “impulse” buys. I noticed the Cream of Shrimp soup by Campbell’s and wanted it so bad, but could not afford it.
Years went by and I had a bit more money to buy some impulse items. So I finally got to purchase 2 cans of the Cream of Shrimp Soup. I used it in Shrimp & Lobster Fondue. It was my first time using my Fondue pot, so it was not very successful. If only I had used a traditional pot (on the stove), it would have turned out perfectly.
I decided to save my second can for my Surf & Turf Spazghetti! This is Spaghetti meets Shrimp Scampi, meets Lasagna, meets Pizza – all in one dish! And of course, I am adding that “Puttanesca” Umami flavor bomb!
I normally have more “meat” in my Spazghetti, but to keep it light, I am substituting a pound of Spinach, for a pound of Italian Sausage, that is usually added. This puts everything on the plate, meat, side dish and pasta. Before I begin, I separate by groups to make sure I did not leave anything in the fridge or pantry.
- Spaghetti Half Cut, recommended: Barilla, two 12 oz. boxes
- Italian Sausage, 1 lb
- Shrimp Scampi (frozen), recommended: SeaPak, 12 oz.
- Pepperoni slices, recommended: Great Value, 6 oz., divided
- Anchovies in Olive Oil, recommended: Crown Prince, 2 oz.
- Cheese Shredded Pizza Blend, recommended: Great Value, two 8 oz. packages
- Ricotta Cheese, recommended: Great Value, 15 oz. and Cottage Cheese, recommended: Belfonte, 15 oz.
- Diced Tomatoes seasoned with Basil, Garlic & Oregano, recommended: Del Monte, 14.5 oz.
- Diced Tomatoes seasoned with Green Peppers & Onions, recommended: Del Monte, 14.5 oz.
- Tomatoes Wedges, Tri-Color with Olive Oil & Italian Spices, recommended: Great Value, 10 oz.
- Cream of Shrimp Soup, recommended: Campbell’s, 10.5 oz.
- Alfredo Sauce with Portobello Mushrooms, recommended Bertolii, 15 oz.
- Alfredo Pasta Sauce with Italian Cheese, recommended: Sam’s Choice, 14.5 oz.
- Mushrooms Sliced, recommended: Green Giant, 8 oz.
- Bouillon Cubes Shrimp Flavor, recommended: Knorr, 2
- Seasoning Blend, frozen (Celery, Yellow Onions, Red Bell Peppers, Green Bell Peppers, Parsley Flakes), recommended: Great Value, 10 oz.
- Tomato Pesto, recommended: Mezzetta, 2 teaspoons
- Olives Italian Salad, recommended: Boscoli Family, 2 tablespoons
- Portabella Zesty Mexican Blend, recommended: Giorgio BlendaBella, 2 tablespoons
- Spinach, Frozen Chopped Steamable, recommended: Great Value, 12 oz.
- Garlic Butter Shrimp Scampi Seasoning Mix, recommended: McCormick, two.87 oz. packets
- Tomato, Garlic & Basil Marinade Mix, recommended: McCormick Grill Mates, .5 oz.
- Olive Oil Black Truffle, recommended: Roland, ¼ teaspoon
- Truffle Zest, recommended: Sabatino Tartufi, dash
- Mushroom Porcini Rub, recommended: Manitou, dash
- Panko Breads Crumbs Italian Style, recommended: Great Value, ½ cup
- Grated Parmesan, 3 Cheese Blend with Parmesan, Romano & Asiago Cheese, recommended: Kraft, ½ cup
- Parmesan Aged Wedge, recommended: Frigo, ½ cup, divided
- Garlic, fresh, 10-11 cloves, divided
- Parsley, dry, ½ teaspoon
- Eggs, Jumbo, 2
- Butter, 4 pats, divided
- Optional: Turkey-size Oven Bag, recommended: Reynolds Kitchens (or line with foil for an easy clean up)
- Melt 1 Butter pat with Olive Oil and add Truffle Zest and Mushroom Porcini Rub in stock pot for 1-3 minutes on low.
- Add Water and 2 Shrimp Bouillon cubes and bring to a boil.
- Add Spaghetti and boil for 10 minutes. Next add the frozen Seasoning Blend and cook an additional 5 minutes, then drain. To that pot, add the Alfredo Pasta Sauce with Italian Cheese, 2 Shrimp Scampi Seasoning packets, drained sliced Mushrooms, Tomato Pesto and Cream of Shrimp Soup.
- Melt Anchovies in a skillet to cook down, and then brown Italian Sausage on top of the Anchovy oil. Add half of the garlic to the skillet last for a few minutes. Drain and then add the 3 cans of Diced Tomatoes, including the juice, Portabella Blend and the Tomato, Garlic & Basil Marinade Mix.
- Beat the Eggs and blend in the Ricotta and Cottage Cheese, Spinach, Olive Italian Salad and 1 ½ Pizza Cheese package.
- Melt the last Butter pat and add to it the Panko Bread Crumbs, Grated Cheese Blend and half of the grated Parmesan cheese from wedge.
- Line the cooking pan with the Turkey Bag and a layer of Pepperoni and the other half of Garlic.
- Next add a layer of Spaghetti.
- Then add a layer of Italian Sausage.
- Then add a layer of Spinach/Ricotta/Cheese.
- Repeat the layers until you have used all of the Spaghetti, Italian Sausage and Spinach.
- Layer with Pepperoni, but reserve some for the topping.
- Add the remaining half of the Pizza Cheese
- Top with the remaining Pepperoni
- Combine the Panko Bread with Grated Parmesan Cheese, remaining Butter (melted), Parsley and Shredded Aged Parmesan Wedge for the topping.
- Cook for 35 minutes in a 300 degree oven
- NOTE: I have to cook this part of it tonight and store in the refrigerator for dinner tomorrow. Reheat the Spazghetti for 15 minutes @ 350, if you do this the day before.
- Add the Shrimp Scamp ♪ on top of Spaghetti ♫**and cook for 20 minutes at 350 degrees
- Save some of the grated Parmesan cheese wedge to sprinkle on top.
** Did anyone catch the shout out to Dr. Funhouse “On Top of Spaghetti” song? Here are the lyrics, in case you were curious about it, and you can listen here:
On top of Spaghetti,
all covered with cheese,
I lost my poor meatball,
When somebody sneezed.
It rolled in the garden,
And under a bush,
And then my poor meatball,
Was nothing but mush.
The tree was all covered,
All covered with moss,
And on it grew meatballs,
And tomato sauce.
So if you eat spaghetti,
All covered with cheese,
Hold on to your meatball,
Whenever you sneeze.
** My Aunt Earnestine, nicknamed my Spaghetti to “Spazghetti” as a compliment. A lot of people use only ground beef in their spaghetti, but when I started using Italian Sausage instead, people noticed the difference.
By the way, the Catfish Nuggets turned out great! The best I have ever made. The secret? Do what Sunny Anderson does and shake it in a paper bag.
Merry Christmas 2019!
Check out the sample and get your copy here: Audible.com The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 4 Audiobook
PAPERBACK BOOKS BY SHALIMAR ALI:
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 4 @ Amazon Kindle (June 13, 2016)
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 3 by Shalimar Ali (Apr 13, 2014)
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 2 by Shalimar Ali (Dec 11, 2012)