When I first started making Digger Fritters (Potatoes with Bacon and Polish Sausage), I used the Bacon Ends & Pieces that came in a box. Back in the day, that box of bacon was very cheap. However, it had a lot of fat and calories. At first, I baked the polish sausage separately to eat on the side with the potatoes and bacon. Then later I started dicing the polish sausage to fry and mix with the potatoes and bacon.
Now I use thick bacon when I make my regular Fritters. I melt cheese on top, a dollop of sour cream, and sometimes a fried egg. It still has a lot of calories, but it sure does taste good.
I used to make it every weekend because my family loved it. Now, I only make a few times a year.
I wanted to see if I could cut the calories by substituting Turnips for potatoes and Turkey Bacon, instead of the thick bacon. Parsnips can also be used instead of potatoes.
Some other changes to make would be to use a different cheese topping. Mozzarella and Feta have fewer calories than Cheddar Cheese. You can also use Yogurt, instead of Sour Cream. For Fritters Deluxe, I top it with an over-easy egg. You can also poach the egg or only use the egg whites.
- Turnips, 3
- Turkey Bacon, Hickory Smoked, recommended: Applegate Naturals, 3 slices
- Smoked Sausage (with Chicken, Pork & Beef), recommended: Morrell, 7 oz.
- Hot Jalapeno & Habanero Jack Shredded Cheese, recommended: Great Value, 8 oz.
- Garlic & Herb Butter, recommended: Kerrygold, ½ stick
- Butter, Unsalted, Sweet Cream, recommended: Great Value, ½ stick and 1 teaspoon
- Black Truffle Oil, recommended: Roland, ½ teaspoon
- Truffle Zest, recommended: Sabatino, ¼ teaspoon
- Porcini Mushroom Rub, recommended: Manitou, ½ teaspoon
- Granulated Garlic, recommended: HyVee, ¼ teaspoon
- Chicago Steak Seasoning, recommended: Weber, ¼ teaspoon
- Liquid Smoke, Mesquite, recommended: Wrights’, ½ cap
- Chicken Bouillon Cube, recommended: Knorr, 1
- Chopped Onions, frozen, recommended: Pictsweet, ¼ cup
- Chopped Green Bell Peppers, frozen, recommended: Great Value, ¼ cup
- Parsley Flakes, recommended: Spice World, ½ teaspoon
- Water, enough to fill pan of Turnips
- Cut off the Turnip top and bottom, then dice. Try to make the cuts the same size as the diced Smoked Sausage.
- Add Truffle Oil, Truffle Zest, Porcini Mushroom Rub and 1 teaspoon of Butter to pot and cook on low for 2 minutes.
- Add diced Turnips, Bouillon Cube and Water to the same pot and boil for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Drain the Turnips and move to colander. Season with Granulated Garlic and Chicago Steak Seasoning.
- Add ½ of Kerrygold and Unsalted Butter to a skillet and melt. Add the diced Turnips and turn until they are brown. Can take about 20 to 30 minutes, turning as needed.
- Dice the Polish Sausage.
- Fry the Bacon slices. Remove the slices and brown the diced Polish Sausage. Remove the Polish Sausage and add the Chopped Onions and Green Bell Peppers. Cook for a few minutes. Cut the Bacon into pieces.
- Drain excess melted Butter from the Turnip Skillet. Add the Bacon pieces, diced Polish Sausage, Chopped Onions and Green Bell Peppers. Mix together and cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Top with Shredded Cheese and cook on low an additional 5 to 10 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- You can fry or “poach” an Egg to top this. Add a dollop of Daisy sour cream and sprinkle Parsley Flakes for presentation.
Today is Shampoo Day! So I get to apply “topical” biotin on the bad spots and drink “liquid” biotin with my orange juice. Also, this week, I will take Hair & Vitamin pills as well as Biotin pills. I still use the “old school” Sulfur 8 on my braid parts, because it makes my scalp tingle.
Aldi messed up my grocery order and sent 8 bananas instead of 2. What to do? I thought about baking Banana Bread, but I am very short on flour. I did think ahead to order Strawberry yogurt, do why take advantage of the extra bananas and use them in a Smoothie with the orange juice?
I got this idea yesterday and ordered an Oyster Smoothie Blender from Amazon. It arrived today, so it must have been in their warehouse.
NO COOTIES ALLOWED!
I take special care with any incoming packages. Back in early February, I ordered 3 things from Amazon and when they arrived, I noticed they were from China. This was when we first found out about COVID. So I sent that shit back, ASAP! And used gloves and took special care in handling the packages.
Now I wear special “cootie” gloves and bleach wipes for all incoming packages. Better safe than sorry.
My dishwasher, washer and dryer installers did not wear masks during the install, but I did. I am not playing!
Shout out to my favorite cousin, Tony! He fixed my old dishwasher and it lasted awhile, but had to be replaced. The new Dishwasher is fantastic.
The dishes are finally being cleaned, for real this time. No fooling around!
THE VAMPIRE DANCER COOKBOOK IS COMING!
Check out the sample and get your copy here: Audible.com The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 4 Audiobook
The Vampire Dancer Saga Parts 1, 2, 3 and 4 are all Audiobooks now available at Audible.com and iTunes (click the word Audible or iTunes to open link to store).
PAPERBACK BOOKS BY SHALIMAR ALI:
SHALIMAR ALI BOOKS AT AMAZON
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 3 by Shalimar Ali (Apr 13, 2014)
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 4 @ Amazon Kindle (June 13, 2016)