I LOVE Gyro sandwiches, so this will have all the flavors, but in a pizza-form. Save the “Tzatziki” packages from the frozen Gyro sandwich kit, to use on top of the Pizza. I also save the Pita bread as well to dip with my favorite Hummus: Sabra Olive Tapenade. Opa!
- Pizza crust, recommended: Pillsbury Classic, 13.8 oz
- Ground Turkey Italian Sausage, recommended: Festive, 1 lb.
- Pepperoni, recommended: Hillshire Farms, 7 oz.
- Soppressata, Hot uncured Salami, recommended: Vincenza’s, 4 oz.
- Gyro Sandwich, recommended: Opaa, two 7.35 oz packages
- Feta Cheese Crumbles, recommended: Athenos, 6 oz.
- Italian Five Cheese Blend with a Touch of Philadelphia, recommended: Kraft, 8 oz.
- Margherita Pizza Sauce, recommended: Ragú, 14 oz., reserve 2 tablespoons
- Tri-Color Tomato Wedges in Olive Oil & Italian Spices, recommended: Great Value, 10 oz.
- Anchovies, recommended: Crown Prince, 2 oz.
- Kalamata Olives, Sliced, recommended: Great Value, ¼ cup
- Sumac, recommended: Zamouri Spices, ¼ teaspoon
- Oregano, recommended: Spice World, ¼ teaspoon
- Red Pepper Flakes, recommended: Spice World, ¼ teaspoon
- Granulated Garlic, recommended: HyVee, ¼ teaspoon
- Grated Parmesan Three Cheese Blend, recommended: Kraft, 1 teaspoon
- Red Onions, diced, ¼ cup
- Flour, recommended: Wondra, as needed
- Parchment Paper Sheets, recommended: Reynolds Kitchens, 3
- Foil Sheets, recommended: Reynolds Wrap, 2-3
- Defrost the “frozen” Gyro Sandwich, and separate the Gyro slices from the Pita Bread, the day ahead or at least 30 minutes before cook time. Preheat the oven to 350.
- Fry the Anchovies in a skillet to reduce the bones, but save as much of the Anchovy Oil as possible.
- Ground the Turkey Italian Sausage in the same skillet, until done. Drain and combine with the diced Red Onions, 2 tablespoons of the Pizza sauce and the diced Kalamata Olives.
- Prepare the Pizza crust by using two sheets of Parchment paper, flour as needed to keep it from sticking and use a rolling pin to get to the desired size for your cooking pan/sheet. For easy clean up, I line my pan with Parchment Sheets. Poke holes in the middle of the crust, using a fork, excluding the edges.
- Pre-bake crust for 7 to 10 minutes and remove.
- Apply half of the Pizza Sauce and all of the Soppressata Salami. This is a good time for Mise en Place, a French culinary phrase which means “putting in place” or “everything in place. The Pepperoni package was already divided in half. I divided the Turkey Italian Sausage, in half, in the skillet.
- Add half the Turkey Italian Sausage and top with half of the Five Cheese Blend.
- Add half of the Pepperoni and half of the Feta Sauce.
- Add the remaining Turkey Italian Sausage, Feta cheese and the remaining Pepperoni. Add the rest of the Pizza Sauce, the drained Tomato Wedges, more Kalamata Olives, Sumac, Granulated Garlic, Red Pepper Flakes, Grated Parmesan Cheese Blend and Oregano.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then remove from the oven.
- While it is baking, fry the Gyro slices in the same skillet on one side only. It fries like bacon, but don’t overcook it, as it will have additional cook time in the oven.
- Layer the Gyro slices and “smush” it down, if needed.
- Add the remaining Five Cheese, topped with Oregano and Parmesan Cheese and bake an additional 9 to 10 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Let it rest for about 10 to 15 minutes before cutting. AKA: The longest 10 minutes in my life! I only had a banana and some chips so far.
Don’t get me wrong, I love ordering a Meat Lover’s Pizza from Pizza Hut, with marinara sauce, pepperoni, all-natural Italian sausage, slow-roasted ham, hardwood smoked bacon, seasoned pork and beef. Hopefully my take on a Puttanesca pizza will Greek-a-fy it!
Laundry Day Update:
I got my new Washer & Dryer installed today. I got the Smart Wi-Fi models and connected them to my Smart Phone. Even though they are “shiny and new” I miss my old-ass ancient set already. This washer and dryer is so complicated, I hope I can figure out how to use when I wash a load tomorrow. Wish me luck!
It took me 10 minutes to figure out how to use it. And I still have not figured out how to have it alert my phone. I can’t believe a wash load only took 20 minutes, compared to the older washer taking over 60 minutes.
My cat, Missouri Sunshine, loves the new washer and dryer! At first she was mesmerized, then afraid and then could not stop watching it spin. This is a new form of TV entertainment for cats.
Food & Toilet Paper Shortage Update:
It’s funny how the TV Show: The Last Man on Earth, predicted COVID. Down to being set in the exact same year: 2020. It is not so funny having a food and toilet paper shortage. FOX should bring the show back, maybe we can find out how to resolve this?
I was so stressed out shopping on line to search for toilet paper. Forget about the usual suspects: Walmart, HyVee, Whole Foods and Amazon. I had to use Aldi’s instead. They had most of my stuff, but ran out of eggs, milk, liquid soap and toilet paper.
I gave up on my usual suspects, as it seemed like toilet paper was nowhere to be found. So I checked at Lowes and Home Depot.
As soon as it put it in my basket, I got a notification that it was out of stock.
I’m not playing the toilet paper game, so I ended up getting the giant roll at Home Depot. It will be ugly as hell, but at least I have TP for my bung hole. Party on Beavis and Butthead. Those dopes knew how important TP truly is.
THE VAMPIRE DANCER COOKBOOK IS COMING!
Check out the sample and get your copy here: Audible.com The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 4 Audiobook
PAPERBACK BOOKS BY SHALIMAR ALI:
Learn to Belly Dance Textbook & Certification Program: Dance Lessons & Choreographies For Students, Troupes, Performers… by Shalimar Ali (Aug 17, 2011)
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 2 by Shalimar Ali (Dec 11, 2012)
The Vampire Dancer Saga by Shalimar Ali, Shalimarali and N/A (Jul 25, 2012)
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 3 by Shalimar Ali (Apr 13, 2014)
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 4 @ Amazon Kindle (June 13, 2016)