Sunrise: December 21st! Gone, but not forgotten and still very much loved!
The last meal he cooked for us was Catfish Nuggets and Macaroni & Cheese. He liked to use a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup on the Mac & Cheese, so I will honor his flavor.
I hope to cook my Catfish Nuggets with Mac & Cheese this weekend, either Friday or Saturday. In the meanwhile, I have Tuna to eat for my main meal this week. Not just any tuna sandwich, but an “Epic” tuna sandwich, dedicated to Tito Jackson. I was watching one of the Jackson 5’s TV specials and Tito mentioned a Tuna & Tomato sandwich. I am finally getting around to making one.
Epic Tuna & Tomato Grilled Swiss Cheese on Rye Bread!
- Tuna, Yellowfin Solid Wild-Caught, with Lemon Dill and Extra Virgin Olive Oil, recommended: Starkist Selects, two 4.5 oz. cans
- Tuna, Solid White Albacore, Gourmet Prime Filet Wild-Caught, recommended: Bumblebee, 5 oz.
- Tartar Sauce, recommended: Kraft, 3 to 4 teaspoons
- Relish, Sweet Pickle, recommended: Vlasic, 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Cream Cheese, Garden Vegetable, recommended: Philadelphia, 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Cream Cheese, Smoked Salmon, recommended: Philadelphia, 1 to 2 teaspoons
- Tasty Zesty Basil, Thyme & Lemon Zest Seasoning, recommended: McCormick, 1 teaspoon
- Celery Seed, recommended: Tone’s, 1/8 teaspoon
- Rye Bread, New York Style, recommended: Great Value, 2 slices per sandwich
- Swiss Cheese, Aged, recommended: Sargento, 2 slices per sandwich
- Eggs, Boiled, 2
- Tomato, Beefsteak, 1 large
- Mirepoix (Yellow Onion, Celery, Carrot), 2 tablespoons
- Butter, 1-2 pat, per sandwich
- Boil Eggs, 30 minutes before, or the day of cook
- Combine Tuna with Cream Cheese, Tartar Sauce and Relish, to your desired consistency
- Add chopped Eggs, Tasty Seasoning, Mirepoix and Celery Seed
- Add butter to skillet then toast the Rye Bread, and add Swiss cheese slices on top
- Remove and add Tuna to both sides with a Tomato Slice in the middle of the sandwich
Easy Catfish Nuggets
- Catfish Nuggets, 1 lb.
- Fish Fry, Seasoned, recommended: Louisiana, 5-10 oz.
- Tasty Zesty Basil, Thyme & Lemon Zest Seasoning, recommended: McCormick, 2 teaspoons
- Cooking Oil, enough to cover the fish
- Marinate the Catfish with the Tasty Seasoning 30 minutes before or the day of cook. Then dredge in the Fish Fry 20 minutes before cook time.
- Heat the cooking oil for about 9 to 14 minutes, testing with toothpick to see if bubble when ready.
- Fry the fish, until brown and I usually move to a 300 degree oven, while I am using the same oil for fries.
- Elbow Macaroni, Large, 16 oz.
- Buttermilk, ½ pint
- Cheddar Cheese, Sharp, 2 lb.
- Panko Bread Crumbs,
- Swiss Cheese Shredded, 8 oz.
- Chicken Bouillon Cubes, 2
- Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup, recommended: Campbell’s, 10.5 oz.
- Butter, ½ stick
- Boil Chicken Bouillon cubes in water.
- Add Macaroni to boiling water and cook until below tender
- Shred Cheese in Food Processor (or use Velveeta cheese, 16 oz.), I have a block of cheese I need to get rid of
- Drain Macaroni and add Cream of Mushroom Soup, ¼ stick of melted butter, Buttermilk and ¾ of the Sharp Cheddar Cheese into the baking pan
- Melt butter and combine Panko Crumbs with ¼ of the Sharp Cheddar Cheese to the top of the Macaroni and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees, covered with foil. Add Swiss cheese and bake an additional 11 minutes, uncovered.
PAPERBACK BOOKS BY SHALIMAR ALI:
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 4 @ Amazon Kindle (June 13, 2016)
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 3 by Shalimar Ali (Apr 13, 2014)
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 2 by Shalimar Ali (Dec 11, 2012)