I used to love eating “Fat” hot dogs with my dad! You know, back in the day when the hot dogs were large, hot and juicy. Dad would put mustard, hot sauce and sharp cheddar cheese on them. My dad loved sharp cheddar cheese, so I love it too!
I love the BBQ Italian Sausage at Gates BBQ. But I hardly visit them every other year. My Aunt Forestine used to grill them on her porch and it tasted just like the ones from Gates.
I am going to have one for dinner tomorrow, so I am prepping tonight. I will start the crock pot, right before my shift starts.
Normally, you can cook them in the slow cooker first and finish on the grill. But since I won’t have that much time, I have to do the reverse and grill them in a pan, then put in a slow cooker before I start work.
Glad that I have 3 different size crock pots, for different meals. The “Daddy” bear size 10 Quart AKA The Chili Maker, a Momma bear size 8 Quart and a Baby Bear size 4 Quart. My cat is very sneaky around crock pots. So I put the Baby bear size in my office so she can’t knock it over and try to eat the food.
- Italian Sausage or Bratwurst, 5 or 6
- Hoagie Buns, 6, I use Pepperidge Farm Bakery Classics with Sesame seeds
- Beer can, 12-16 oz. (and/or use beef broth, if you don’t want to “waste” your beer, LOL
- Onions, ½ cup or less (I am using the frozen bag)
- Liquid Smoke, ¼ teaspoon
- BBQ Sauce, ½ cup more or less, to your taste, I love Stubb’s Hickory Bourbon Legendary Bar-B-Q Sauce
- Mustard, Grey Poupon, Country Dijon is my fav
- Tasbasco Pepper Jelly (or Hot Sauce or Sriracha)
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese, time to pull out the Cracker Barrel Cracker Cuts
- Olive Oil
- Pre-heat a grill pan or cast iron skillet for 2 to 3 minutes. Score-cut each Brat or Sausage
- The sausage only needs about 2 minute per side, as they will finish cooking in the crock pot.
- Add the onions and Liquid Smoke to the crock pot, then the Brats and BBQ Sauce. Cover with a mixture of Beer and/or Beef Broth so the Brats are well-covered
- Cook on low for 4 -5 hours
- Toast that bun, slap on some extra BBQ sauce, mustard and pepper jelly. Add Brat and Cheese and enjoy!
Save some beer to drink with your Brat!
Happy Father’s Day
THE VAMPIRE DANCER SAGA 5 IS COMING!
Check out the sample and get your copy here: Audible.com The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 4 Audiobook
The Vampire Dancer Saga Parts 1, 2, 3 and 4 are all Audiobooks now available at Audible.com and iTunes (click the word Audible or iTunes to open link to store).
BOOKS BY SHALIMAR ALI:
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 4 @ Amazon Kindle (June 13, 2016)
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 3 by Shalimar Ali (Apr 13, 2014)
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 2 by Shalimar Ali (Dec 11, 2012)
The Vampire Dancer Saga by Shalimar Ali, Shalimarali and N/A (Jul 25, 2012)
Learn to Belly Dance Textbook & Certification Program: Dance Lessons & Choreographies For Students, Troupes, Performers… by Shalimar Ali (Aug 17, 2011)