My mom made this when we were kids. Instead of using 1 to 2 eggs to make “individual” Egg Foo Young, I wanted a way to prepare it as a side dish for several days. So I came up with an idea to use the same ingredients that are in Crab Rangoon and bake it instead of using a Wok.
- Eggs, Jumbo, 6
- Crab Delights, Imitation Crab, recommended: Louis Kemp, 1 lb.
- Oysters, Fancy Smoked in Oil, recommended: Chicken of the Sea, 3.75 oz.
- Stir Fry Vegetables, recommended: La Choy, 28 oz.
- Cream Cheese Spread, recommended: Great Value, 12 oz.
- Chow Mein Noodles, recommended: La Choy, 5 oz.
- Ginger root, fresh, ¼ lb., 1 inch root (peeled and diced)
- Green Onions, diced, ¼ cup
- Marjoram, recommended: Delish, ¼ cup
- Soy Sauce, recommended: Great Value, 2 teaspoons
- Fish Sauce, recommended: Thai Kitchen, ½ teaspoon
- Ponzu (Citrus Seasoned Dressing & Sauce, recommended: Kikkoman, ½ teaspoon
- Teriyaki Sauce, recommended: Best Choice, ½ teaspoon
- Parchment Sheets, Pop-up, recommended: Reynolds Kitchens, 1 to 2 (for easy clean up)
- Get the Cream Cheese to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees
- Apply a parchment sheet(s), as needed to your baking dish (I am using a 9 x 13).
- Drain the Oyster oil on top of the parchment paper sheet.
- Beat the Eggs.
- Dice the Crab and Oysters into ¼ or ½ size bits.
- Drain the Stir Fry Vegetables.
- Combine the Eggs, Crab, Oysters, Stir Fry Vegetables, Ginger Root, Green Onions, Marjoram, Soy Sauce, Fish Sauce, Ponzu and Teriyaki Sauce.
- You can season the Stir Fry Vegetables with a bit of Soy Sauce and Teriyaki Sauce.
- Blend in the Cream Cheese
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the eggs set.
- Top with Chow Mein Noodles, when serving.
As soon as I added the Cream Cheese, it started to smell like a Crab Rangoon. Actually, it has all the flavors of Crab Rangoon, without the Wonton Wrappers.
Today is my Dad’s birthday. And it has turned out to be a wonderful day! I have four of my favorite TV shows to watch after work: Supergirl, Batwoman, The Rookie and God Friended Me.
I prepped my Jilligan’s Isle BBQ Pork for the slow cooker yesterday. And before going to work, I started cooking it. It will be done in time for my lunch break. And then I can have more Egg Foo Young as a snack later on. It sure was good. I was only supposed to have one serving. But I cheated and had an extra serving.
Happy Birthday Dad!
Check out the sample and get your copy here: Audible.com The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 4 Audiobook
PAPERBACK BOOKS BY SHALIMAR ALI:
Learn to Belly Dance Textbook & Certification Program: Dance Lessons & Choreographies For Students, Troupes, Performers… by Shalimar Ali (Aug 17, 2011)
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 2 by Shalimar Ali (Dec 11, 2012)
The Vampire Dancer Saga by Shalimar Ali, Shalimarali and N/A (Jul 25, 2012)
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 3 by Shalimar Ali (Apr 13, 2014)
The Vampire Dancer Saga Part 4 @ Amazon Kindle (June 13, 2016)