I had performed to music by Light Rain on the Dream Dancer album and found out that DeAnn was having a week long workshop in California. Wow! I jumped at the chance to attend.
I LOVED the workshops, being able to meet DeAnn, watch the Dream Dancers and Light Rain perform in person. This was a triple treat for dancers.
But with all that goodness came some scary moments that weekend. The location was a camp site, can’t think of the name right now, but to get there you had to travel on some mountains. I was holding my breathe all the way to and from the camp site. And I was “tripping” because I don’t think there was rail on the side of the mountain. I was too scared to look. The next sort of “weird” part about that weekend was the hot tubs. I guess being from Midwest, I just wasn’t used to seeing adults, naked in a hot tub. Oh well, time to grow up.
I was used to getting mostly Greek and Turkish cabaret dance training, back then. So when I saw how different and unique DeAnn’s dance style was, it sort of reminded me of an Urban, pre-Tribal, “Hippy” style of belly dance.
My most favorite memory of DeAnn was when I sponsored her to teach a workshop in my hometown. She did something that no other guest instructor did. We had a show that same weekend the Sunday after her workshop and she came to the show and cheered us on! She was so fabulous and supporting. I love you DeAnn!
DeAnn: (1949 – 2000), thank you for the honor of dancing with you that weekend and for making your appearance my hometown so special.
You can use these links to Amazon.com to listen to or purchase some great belly dance music by Light Rain:
- Dream Dancer: http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Dancer/dp/B0010XVLJU/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328473753&sr=301-1
- Dream Suite: http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Suite/dp/B0012AKD5O/ref=sr_shvl_album_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1328473753&sr=301-4
- Valentine to Eden: http://www.amazon.com/Valentine-To-Eden/dp/B0012AT7SI/ref=sr_shvl_album_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1328473753&sr=301-5
- Dark Fire: http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Fire/dp/B0010XBBHC/ref=sr_shvl_album_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328473753&sr=301-2
I have some favorite choreographies to music by Light Rain, including Devil’s Daughter, Firewood and The Sword Dance. Here are my notes from the The Sword Dance, choreographed in 1993:
THE SWORD DANCE
B. CHIFTITELLI (2nd section):
1. Maya, 2 times in place, facing front
Maya, 2 times, facing left
Maya, 2 times, back to audience
Maya, 2 times, facing right
2. Descent w/shoulder shimmies (or other upper body undulation)
3. Berber Walk-2 times, forward
4. Floor turn #1-I full to left, then 1 full to right, w/arm circles
5. Knee slides-2 times to right
6. Snake-in-Basket (hip circle, then rib circle)-1 time, at stage right
7. Knee slides-2 times to left
8. Snake-in-Basket-1 time, at stage left
9. Berber Walk-1 or 2 times, to center stage
10. Floor turn #2-1 full (to “emphasized” section of music)
11. Hinge w/vibration facing stage right
12. Hinge w/vibration facing stage left
13. Berber Walk-2 times, to back stage (put cymbals on while doing vibration)
For more dance gossip & goodies, check out my book, "Learn to Belly Dance Textbook" available at Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble :
I will be posting some of my original Dancer Tributes in WordPress, only the early ones that were in Twitter only, not WordPress. Back when I first starting posting the dancer tributes on Twitter I only had 2 subscribers. Now that I have more, I realized that a lot of people missed my early dancer tributes. But as I am reposting those, I will also keep adding new content for topics like Dance Choreography, new Dancer tributes, etc.
Now is your time to Join the Conversation! Comments, questions, concerns, controversy, rebuttals, tributes, etc., are all welcome!
What is your favorite memory of DeAnn?