How do you describe Pharonic Style Belly Dance?
I usually visualize the dancers of ancient Egypt, especially the ones depicted in hieroglyphic drawings.
There are many retailers who sell costumes with a Pharonic look. But here are some great links with lots of pictures for inspiration:
Some of my favorite songs to use for Pharonic Style Belly Dance are:
- Souk el Jawaree (by Farid Atrache Orchestra). In fact, I have 2 different versions of this song by him on 2 different cassettes. My favorite version is the one on the video clip below. Here is a link to listen to it on iTunes. While you are listening, also check out Pharonic Dance on the same album : http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/arabesque-traditional-folk/id258854957
- Phaedra Pharonica (by Eddie Kochak, Strictly Belly Dancing Vol. 6). I choreographed a group candle dance to this song. I love the original album cover that has Phaedra in her Pharonic costume pictured above. Here is a link to sample this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Phaedra-Pharaonica-Pharaonic/dp/B0038P2FOS/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1327451695&sr=1-13
- Raks Pharonic (by George Abdo, The Art of Belly Dancing). I also love Raks Musri on this album for Pharonic music, and I just love, love, love Gameel Gamal, one of my all-time favorite belly dance songs. Here is a link to listen: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-art-of-belly-dancing/id406542529
One of my favorite Pharonic style choreographies is to Souk el Jawaree. This dance can have a group intro, but you can also do the entire dance as a soloist. Here are some of the steps used in the choreography:
Dog-chase-tail turn to R (optional, use pharonic side pose arms)
Dog-chase-tail turn to L (optional, use pharonic side pose arms)
Floor descent w/Lotus hand pose
End in floor pose face audience, with both arms forward, palms down
III. Slow Tempo: Taxim Dance
1. Both arms out/up to L side, palms up, then down, 4 cts.
Both arms out/up to R side, palms up, then down, 4 cts.
Both arms out/up face front, palms up, then down, 4 cts.
2. Caduceus arms/up from floor, 8 cts.
Maya, face aud. w/palms up, 8 cts.
Pelvic Roll, face L, w/pharonic side pose, 7 cts.
Rib Circle, travel to L in circle, 8 cts., end up facing L
3. Rib Lift/Lift/Lift, face L (Rah: closed/closed/open); Rib Drop/Drop, face F (closed
Rahs); Rib Lift/Lift/Lift, face R (Rah: closed/closed/open); Rib Drop/Drop, face F
(closed Rahs); (Rah-Look at Sun, cover eyes w/palms); then sharply open hands
to Pharonic front pose
Rib Circle face R, 8 cts., Rib Undulation, 8 cts.; Pelvic Roll w/Pharonic side pose, 8
cts., end with Pharonic Side Pose, facing R
In the Pharonic Candle dance we use the candle position to create the movements, as you see in many candle dances:
B.) Section #2:
1. Do Camel Walks, traveling, 4 times, 16 cts. (RLRI, LRLR, RLRL, LRLR); until group is in row formation; hold candles in front, close to body
2. Stagger hand positions, then slowly switch to opposite, 2 cts. each position
a. Dancer #1, candles down (she is in front of row)
b. Dancer #2, candles half down (she is behind dancer #1)
C. Dancer #3, candles half up (she is behind dancer #2)
d. Dancer #4, candles up (she is last in row)
3. Do Rib Circles, traveling, back into line formation, 8 cts.
For more dance gossip & goodies, check out my book, "Learn to Belly Dance Textbook" available at Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble : http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/learn-to-belly-dance-textbook-certification-program-shalimar-ali/1105014103?ean=9781465346582&itm=1&usri=9781465346582
Now is the time for you to join the conversation. Comments, questions and posts are welcome.
What is your favorite Pharonic dance song, steps or choreography?